This section is intended for new recruits to Crawley Athletic Club and outlines the structure of the club, training nights and coaching groups.
All club officials, coaches and helpers at Crawley AC are volunteers giving up their time to help the athletes and build a successful club.
The club is open to all in school year 6 and above (unfortunately due to social-distancing restrictions we are currently no longer accepting U11s).
Crawley AC does not accept “Loco Parentis “ of any child training or competing with us. Loco parentis is defined as: “being responsible for a child while the child’s parents are absent.”
Crawley AC have a duty of care over all athletes being trained by their coaches, however due to our training venues being in public places we are unable to guarantee unauthorised access by members of the general public. Our coaches and helpers are unable to escort children to the toilet, therefore parents must be aware and question their own responsibility.
Fiona Newport is Crawley AC\'s Young Athletes Coordinator.
* New athletes and their parents can talk to her about the club, what they want from athletics and what the club can offer them, and
* existing members can liaise with her about their needs - which coaching group they would like to train with, what events they would like to try etc, although they can, of course, still talk to their coaches about this.
* She will liaise with the coaches about who is in their group and whether it is the right group for them and will discuss requests from athletes to join a new group.
* In addition, she will aim to make sure that every athlete receives information about competitions (indoor winter, cross country, spring/summer track and field, open meetings) and thereby giving every athlete the chance to be selected to represent Crawley AC in some of these competitions.
* She will try to be at most training sessions on Monday and Wednesday evenings (family schedule permitting!)
Training sessions take place on Monday and Wednesday evenings from 6:00pm at the K2 Leisure Centre, Pease Pottage Hill [A23], Crawley - except on Bank Holidays or when competitions are scheduled on the track.
To join the club please see the Membership page.
Training sessions are open to all members and currently cost £3.00 (this is separate from membership fees and is payable online).
We have coaches for all aspects of athletics, providing a formal and structured training regime for all athletes.
Whilst we want you to have fun, the safety of all athletes is of the highest importance.
Here are some IMPORTANT: DO'S & DON'TS
All new athletes will be placed in the beginners group with Jim Boyce. They will learn the basic, but vitally important, warm-up and stretching routines, followed by drills aimed at building up their strength and stamina. They will be given the chance to try different events, but this needs to be timed so as not to interfere with the training sessions of the more serious athletes.
Whilst this is very much the fun group, all those who attend are expected to behave in an appropriate manner - anybody who disrupts the group will be asked to leave, either for that session or (if poor behaviour persists) permanently.
Once a specialism has been identified, and the athlete is ready to be moved up, they will go to one of these groups. This is where those of a club, county, national and international standard train to an intensive training programme. It is not for the faint-hearted!
For young athletes the club currently fields teams in the following leagues:
- Sussex Under 13 (normally Thursday evenings) and Under 15 Leagues (normally Friday evenings)
- Youth Development League, ages Under 13 & Under 15 (normally Saturdays); Under 17 & Under 20 (normally Sundays)
- Sussex Cross Country League
In the winter, teams are entered in the Sussex Sports Hall League, this provides indoor athletics for athletes aged up to 15.
In exceptional circumstances young athletes also compete for the Senior teams:
- Southern Athletics League, ages Under 17 to Seniors (normally Saturdays)
- National Athletics League